Volunteer Title: Safety Officer
Commitment: 8 hours per week
- Must be 19 years or older;
- Obtain a clean criminal record check;
- Ability to attend all training and information sessions required;
- Ability to commit to a minimum of two shifts per week with reliability;
- Verbal and written proficiency in languages beyond English is an asset;
- 2 + years’ experience working in client facing, first responder, law enforcement or security role an asset; and,
- CPR + AED, Naloxone and Narcan certification an asset.
The Community Safety Officer is responsible for assisting our Distribution team in ensuring a welcoming, healthy and safe environment at our Distribution locations for all clients, volunteers, staff and community partners. The Community Safety Officer will provide a physical security presence, access control to the distribution locations as well as the enforcement of GVFB COVID-19 policies and procedures. This also includes acting as a GVFB ‘brand ambassador’ by providing assistance to those visiting the GVFB to resolve questions or concerns. We have 20 vacancies open for this position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing a physical security presence, line management and access control to the Burnaby and Vancouver distribution sites;
- Enforcing GVFB and COVID-19 policies and procedures through an education based approach;
- Patrolling the property and buildings as required, observing and reporting any safety or security risks to the Distribution Manger;
- End of shift briefing with the Distribution Manager to discuss any issues or observations that may have arisen that day;
- Ensuring the area around the Distribution location is free of traffic, direct vehicles and pedestrian traffic to the safest possible route;
- Assisting with emergency responders, law enforcement and other community partners as needed, attending and providing first aid within your level of knowledge.
- Ability to work with sensitivity and without discrimination towards people of diverse cultures, races/ ethnicity, socio-economic status, ages, religions, genders, physical/ mental health challenges/ disabilities and sexual orientations;
- Displaying as engaging, welcoming and helpful approach to dealing with people and situations;
- Effective interpersonal communication skills (written/ oral), including active listening skills;
- Proven ability to problem solve, think on your feet, process good judgment and decision-making capabilities;
- Knowledge of and ability to employ conflict resolution and de-escalation skills as needed; and,
- Remain calm and composed in difficult situations;
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com in one PDF document.